Plus Rob answers the Question of the Week (36:18) about how many practices per week a 7U rec team should have.
In this 40-minute episode, you'll learn:
- how are Tom's knees (7:43)
- whether catching reduces athleticism (8:50)
- why primary stances are evolving (14:33)
- how secondary stances are evolving (15:59)
- whether kids can benefit from one-knee stances (18:03)
- why pop time is not important (20:07)
- how to find catchers on your team (21:12)
- how to promote the catcher position to possible catcher candidates (22:50)
- when to work with catchers in practices if they also play other positions (24:40)
- the fundamentals of the primary stance (26:44)
- the fundamentals of the secondary stance (28:38)
- footwork in the secondary stance (29:37)
- drills for receiving (30:19)
- variations of a wall drill that doesn't require a coach and fosters competition (32:37)
- a good distance for throwing to the catcher in normal receiving drills (34:44)
Resources and links mentioned in this episode:
- Part 1 of the Tom Griffin video interview
- Ask Rob a question
- Donate to YBE via Patreon or PayPal if you get value from the podcast/blog
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.