In this 48-minute episode, you'll learn:
- Justin's view on the nurture vs nature debate in sports (4:19)
- whether coaches can instill tenacity in their players (5:38)
- what made Justin's biggest baseball moment so defining (7:06)
- two key takeaways from "Winning" by Tim Grover (11:02)
- three ways to be more empathetic to your kids (12:30)
- how to reach kids in youth baseball when they are not yet intrinsically motivated (14:25)
- the key to making baseball more fun (15:53)
- how to create competition for entry-level players who don't possess skills yet (18:18)
- many variations to help kids who don't know how to catch (20:02)
- a fun team-building game (23:31)
- a drill that also helps build team unity (27:08)
- how to teach rules of the game (27:59)
- a helpful technique to teach the concept of force plays vs tag plays (29:13)
- the three elements that must be present in every practice, and three other important elements (30:31)
SponsorDriveline Plus. Tune in to the episode to get the code, just for YBE listeners.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- Session 105: The Open Baseball Journal: 10 Questions Baseball Parents Should Ask Their Child Every Season
- Session 140: Lessons Learned in 2020
- Session 78: Tee-Ball Practices with Marty Schupak
- Session 77: Help for the Tee-Ball Coach with Marty Schupak
- Austin Wasserman equipment
- Austin Wasserman ebooks
Right-click on this link and 'Save as...' to download this episode.
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.