How do you become an ump in youth leagues like Little League? How do you become a high school ump? College? Pros? What makes a good ump? Brandon Jackson, a long-time and well-respected collegiate umpire, shares his thoughts on these and other umpire-related topics.
In this 35-minute episode, you'll learn:
- why coaches and players should consider becoming an ump
- whether Brandon believes a shortage of umpires exists
- how to become an umpire
- how to become a Division I/II collegiate umpire
- whether you have to be a high school ump before you can be a college ump
- whether you need to attend a professional umpiring school if you have extensive experience
- whether you are guaranteed a job after graduating from a professional umpiring school
- what's the typical pay scale for umpires, from Little League/rec leagues to MLB
- what the degree of difficulty is in becoming a major league umpire
- whether being a professional umpire can be taxing on his family
- three qualities of a good umpire (besides making good calls)
- three tips for coaches when interacting with umpires
Resources and links mentioned in this episode:
- Jim Evans Academy of Professional Umpiring
- Wendelstedt Umpire School
- Minor League Baseball Umpire Training Academy
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.