Plus Rob answers the Question of the Week (28:10) about a clear plan of where to start with beginner to intermediate middle schoolers.
In this 44-minute episode, you'll learn:
- how Jim uses plyocare balls differently from most (2:02)
- three things to look for in pitching mechanics (3:01)
- whether hip hinge is important (4:18)
- how to be more explosive and what limits explosiveness (6:07)
- whether head tilt is bad during the pitch sequence (7:01)
- what "pitch design" is (8:36)
- one big reason youth change-ups often fail (12:17)
- how younger kids can grip a change-up (15:01)
- three things that help youth pitchers be more repeatable (16:09)
- a helpful drill to help kids feel how to break their hands, and what to watch for in that drill (17:55)
- how to video pitching deliveries and how to use those videos (19:42)
- the temptation to try to fix everything at once (21:44)
- Jim's advice for youth pitchers on handling their arms (21:44)
- four ideas for a helpful post-practice recovery program (24:04)
Driveline BaseballDriveline Plus is a growing library of everything baseball player development. Members get how-to videos on youth training, discounts on products and inside access to Driveline trainers. Listeners of today's episode get $25 off their first year of Driveline Plus. Tune in to the episode to get the code, just for YBE listeners.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
Right-click on this link and 'Save as...' to download this episode.
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.