Plus Rob answers the Question of the Week (24:04) about what age is appropriate for kids to focus on 1-3 positions.
In this 34-minute episode, you'll learn:
- what is the number one job of a third base coach (3:01)
- a checklist for the third base coach to go through before each play (3:22)
- what considerations a third base coach needs to take (4:12)
- Toby's philosophy for coaching 2B runners whether to tag up on fly balls (4:33)
- whether a tagging up philosophy is team-wide or game-by-game (6:34)
- the importance of practicing all these situations (7:34)
- whether the third base coach should help runners with their leads at 2B or whether the runner should self-govern (7:56)
- when to hold the runner vs send the runner on hits to the outfield (9:01)
- whether third-base coach decision-making differs depending on where the ball is hit into the outfield (10:08)
- whether anything changes with a runner on 2B (11:04)
- whether the first base coach is observing pitch sequencing, catcher/infield arm strength, etc (11:56)
- what to do on a double into the LF corner (12:26)
- what factors to consider whether to send a runner home (13:07)
- whether the 3B coach reminds 2B runners of details (14:37)
- how to decide whether to send a runner home on a wild pitch or passed ball (15:13)
- the importance of choosing specific terminology (16:08)
- what to do in sacrifice fly situations (17:19)
- whether coaches are required to stay in the coach's box (19:55)
- about the issue of 3B coaches being spectators on certain plays rather than coaches (20:29)
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- 1B Coach talking to runner https://youtube.com/shorts/4hKpd28xGVw?feature=share
- YBE Practice Plan membership open again
- Subscribe to YBE email newsletter
- Subscribe to the YBE YouTube channel
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.