Plus Rob answers the Question of the Week (29:00) about whether players can be first base coaches.
In this 34-minute episode, you'll learn:
- Toby's thoughts on nature vs nurture (6:18)
- a short hop drill (8:12)
- what is the number one job of a first base coach (9:39)
- where the first base coach should stand (10:38)
- where the first base coach should position himself with a 1B runner (12:02)
- where the first base coach should position himself when the batter is running to 1B (13:19)
- what the first base coach should do when the batter is trying to beat out an infield hit (14:46)
- how much assistance the 1B coach should give the batter-runner when the runner rounds 1B (15:37)
- what the first base coach tells the 1B runner (17:12)
- whether the first base coach is looking for pitcher "tells" (18:34)
- whether the first base coach is observing pitch sequencing, catcher/infield arm strength, etc (19:32)
- how to avoid the first baseman hearing what the first base coach is telling the runner (20:10)
- whether the first base coach continues communicating with the runner throughout the at-bat (21:06)
- whether the first base coach relays catcher's signs to batters if observed (22:06)
- whether the first base coach relays catcher's signs to 1B runners if observed (23:05)
- whether the first base coach helps runners get bigger leads (23:59)
- how to tell 1B runners to get bigger/smaller leads (24:54)
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- 1B Coach talking to runner https://youtube.com/shorts/4hKpd28xGVw?feature=share
- YBE Practice Plan membership open again
- Subscribe to the YBE YouTube channel
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.