Is strength training important for youth baseball? How do you get started? Nick Esposito of espositostrengthclub.com and the Strength & Conditioning Coach at Austin Wasserman and Bobby Tewksbary's AB Athletics facility shares his thoughts. This is Part 1 of a two-part series.
Plus Justin Stone of elitebaseball.tv answers the Question Of The Week about why in-step pressure is important in the swing. And Austin Wasserman of wassermanstrength.com shares fitness games for youth athletes in the Wass Strength Tip Of The Week.
In this 40-minute episode, you'll learn:
- what's wrong with plank marathons
- what to beware with travel teams
- the pros and cons of lifting
- the difference between lifting among today's kids vs lifting in the coaches' generation
- how to help kids learn to "put the brakes on" when working out
- three drills to help kids understand proper sprint mechanics
- what the youngest age is to benefit from strength & conditioning
- what to do for kids who are starting strength training when older
- what age kids can start lifting
- whether kids should try to find what their max lift is
- what "one rep max" means and how to determine it
- what a functional movement screen is
Links mentioned in this episode:
- Austin Wasserman's Tip Of The Week is fitness games for youth athletes
- interview with Austin Wasserman on high-level throwing
- interview with Austin Wasserman on strength training Q&A part 1
- interview with Austin Wasserman on strength training Q&A part 2
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.