In this 53-minute episode, you'll learn:
- why Zak didn't make it to the bigs as a pitcher himself (8:51)
- how to help kids achieve repeatability (12:31)
- how to help kids who struggle with repeatability, and whether kids can "feel" repeatability (13:42)
- the process for simplifying the pitching delivery (15:25)
- the key component to help kids who are not coordinated in the separation phase of the pitching delivery (17:20)
- how to help kids who need help during separation (18:48)
- most common reason that kids miss up-and-in when pitching (20:44)
- the antidote for kids who are close to the strike zone but not consistently hitting it (21:28)
- what focus is and why it's so important (23:10)
- whether kids can recall where they last released a pitch (27:42)
- whether kid pitchers need a pitching coach and why (29:52)
- the prescription for kids who consistently pitch kids into the dirt (32:06)
- when it's important to teach pitching mechanics (33:26)
- what pitching mechanics to teach (35:26)
- the two key aspects of teaching a change-up (39:02)
- Zak on how to throw a change-up
- Chris O'Leary's web site
- Examples of how pro baseball players do not teach correctly:
Right-click on this link and 'Save as...' to download this episode.
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.