Jerry Ford, President and founder of Perfect Game, takes us on a tour of Perfect Game and how it works. This is part 1 of a two-part interview with Jerry.
In this 32-minute episode, you'll learn:
- why Perfect Game was started
- how Perfect Game attracted top athletes then, before it had the name recognition it has now
- why Jerry continued Perfect Game despite going bankrupt initially
- whether Jerry read Jeff Passan's book The Arm
- what the difference is between tournaments, showcases, Spring Swings and the Series
- how Perfect Game ranks players
- how many of Perfect Game's own scouts are at their own events
- what skills & attributes Jerry believes college recruiters are looking for
- the one key tool Jerry feels college recruiters value over others for position players and for pitchers
- whether hitting for power or hitting for average is more desirable
- whether Perfect Game accounts for mental makeup in its rankings and grading
- whether Perfect Game rankings differ from scouts and recruiting directors
- how Perfect Game ranks travel teams
- if travel teams that simply pay for hired guns are taken into account in Perfect Game's travel team rankings
- whether Perfect Game's travel team rankings alter how travel teams operate
- what Jerry's interactions with Jeff Passan were like when Jeff was doing research for Jeff's book
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Perfect Game's response to The Arm
- The Arm book
- my interview with Jeff Passan on Session 36 and Session 37
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.