What does a successful travel team do? Heck, what does a successful baseball team do? Rudy Garcia, who won the Elite World Series four years in a row as head coach (8U-11U), discusses the positive side of travel ball and gives an inside glimpse of his elite travel team. This is part 1 of a two-part interview.
Plus Justin Stone of EliteBaseball.tv answers the Question Of The Week about handling difficult parents. And Austin Wasserman of WassermanStrength.com introduces us to Turkish Get-Ups in the Wass Strength Tip Of The Week.
In this 45-minute episode, you'll learn:
- what age Rudy thinks is appropriate to start travel
- how Wilson MVP differs from other travel programs
- benefits of playing travel ball
- the biggest flaw of playing travel ball
- Rudy's mission statement for his team
- 3 tips for parents to differentiate coaches who can teach vs coaches who cannot
- whether it's possible for players to be elite without playing travel
- why Rudy's team practices less
- what aspect to start team practices with
- how Rudy's team practices are structured
- what makes Rudy's system so "complex and sophisticated"
- tips for tryouts
- how Rudy handles recruiting
- how to evaluate pitchers
Resources mentioned in this episode:
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.