2020 may have been a crazy year but there were still youth baseball lessons to be learned. Host Rob Tong looks back on 2020 and distills many things he learned into eight lessons that he shares in this episode.
Plus Rob answers the Question of the Week (31:36) about whether 8U kids should give verbal pre-pitch defensive reminders.
In this 38-minute episode, you'll learn:
- why to value pitching accuracy over velocity despite today's velocity-crazed youth environment (2:14)
- why telling kids what they need to change won't work, and what to do instead (5:06)
- why it's REALLY, REALLY difficult to replicate game situations in practice, and what you can do to better replicate them (7:45)
- how you can avoid many kids standing around in practice, even if you have 20-40 kids (14:55)
- why you should emphasize decision-making opportunities in practice (19:17)
- the need to practice cut & relay plays more often than you think you need (23:04)
- the need to make bad calls in practice games (27:03)
- about a red-yellow-green system for 3B runners (28:56)
Resources and links mentioned in this episode:
- Vanderbilt 7-station infield practice
- Support YBE
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.