In this 53-minute episode, you'll learn:
- one thing to watch for and one tip to help kids who throw hard but don't pitch hard (1:09)
- how important is "drive" and three key areas that factor into it (2:45)
- whether it's important to teach pushing off the back leg (4:59)
- how to engage the lower half (6:14)
- when to focus on the lower half (7:44)
- why arm slot doesn't matter when pitching (8:54)
- whether front leg post or back leg drive is more important in velocity (11:08)
- whether there is a risk of injury for pre-puberty kids throwing curveballs—and what is the biggest risk of injury (12:11)
- the biggest cause of a strong pitcher going into a rut (14:00)
- what makes Pedro Martinez special that is noticeable on video (18:22)
- what is a realistic goal from a pitching velocity camp (19:47)
- what speed increase is realistic when incorporating strength training for high schoolers (23:50)
- why there is not one common teach that Zak imparts to kids in single lessons (25:16)
- what two bad pitching teaches Zak frequently needs to undo in pitching lessons (26:36)
- one tip to improve your mental game (27:48)
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.