In this 52-minute episode, you'll learn:
- how long after the spring season ends to start tryouts for next season [5:44]
- whether returning travel players should be evaluated along with new kids trying out [10:11]
- how to measure "immeasurable" attributes to include in player rankings [11:53]
- recommended resources for game strategy and player positioning [15:55]
- how to help an entire team in a rut of taking strike three looking [18:13]
- how to teach a 9U team to back pick 1B and 3B [25:49]
- whether to buy a composite bat or a metal bat [36:25]
- how to help skilled players who talk negatively about themselves after one mistake [41:39]
Plus Austin Wasserman has the Wass Strength Tip of the Week on mastering the basics of strength training and 3 things to watch out for.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode:
- John T. Reed's Coaching Youth Baseball book
- Justin Stone's EliteBaseball.tv membership site
- Baseball Prospectus's Baseball Between The Numbers book, including Chapter 1.2 "Is David Ortiz A Clutch Hitter?"
- Videos of 15 of Austin Wasserman's favorite basic weight training exercises
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.