Plus Rob answers the Question of the Week (38:36) about the benefits of batting lefty instead of righty.
In this 53-minute episode, you'll learn:
- 3 reasons why the change-up is difficult for youth pitchers (1:42)
- how to throw a change-up (3:50)
- a tip for making the change-up more effective (4:59)
- where to throw the change-up (7:17)
- when to throw the change-up (8:05)
- 3 things to emphasize when teaching baserunning (9:44)
- a drill that teaches quick & accurate baserunning reads (13:41)
- what the 80/20 principle is, and how to apply it to baseball practices (19:56)
- the #1 needle-mover for your team (21:36)
- 5 things to that apply the 80/20 principle (26:05)
- how the catcher position fits into the 80/20 principle (27:12)
- how to plan for pitchers in practice when not everyone on the team pitches (29:46)
- a drill to help pitchers leading with their hips & glutes (32:12)
Resources and links mentioned in this episode:
- John T. Reed's youth baseball coaching book
- Reuters article on whether to bat (and throw) lefty or righty
- FanGraphs article on whether RH or LH hitters are more likely to have success in MLB
- A youth baseball perspective on handedness
- Ask Rob a question
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.