Plus Rob answers the Question of the Week (32:10) about when your kid should play up.
In this 40-minute episode, you'll learn:
- 4 sample cues to steal 2B off righty pitchers and 3 main cues to steal 2B off lefty pitchers (2:04)
- 3 secondary cues to steal 2B off lefty pitchers (3:46)
- 4 things to help drill all players to get better jumps (4:36)
- the importance of learning how to return to a base (7:06)
- 3 reasons why bluffs are useful (8:42)
- which target base is best for using bluffs (9:48)
- what false steps are (10:32)
- the creep steal (11:06)
- the volt steal and the lean steal (12:09)
- what is "sprinter's position" and how to get to it faster (12:54)
- whether "sprinter's position" makes you more vulnerable to pickoffs (14:14)
- proper technique for the volt steal (14:59)
- how to do a delayed steal on a righty pitcher vs a lefty pitcher (16:32)
- how to steal against a guy who varies the number of looks (17:40)
- how to steal against a "far eye guy" and a "pick up home guy" (19:13)
- the key to avoid being caught off-base against the inside move (21:02)
- what to do as a runner at 3B (23:17)
- 3 things slower baserunners can do to get extra bases (25:05)
- 3 overarching principles to develop better base stealers, plus 5 specific ways to work on base stealing (26:17)
- whether there's an age that is too young to learn how to steal bases (29:06)
SponsorDriveline Plus. Tune in to the episode to get the code, just for YBE listeners.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
Right-click on this link and 'Save as...' to download this episode.
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.