When you think "train second baseman", you may think "grounders, grounders and more grounders." And while mass grounders is important for any second baseman, there are other nuances of second base play that are often neglected. Perry Hill, the first base coach and infield coach for the Seattle Mariners, breaks down how you can properly train your second basemen (plus the remainder of our chat on first base play). This is part 2 of a two-part interview.
Plus Rob answers the Question of the Week (35:47) about how to help kids new to kid pitch get over the fear of getting hit by pitches.
In this 46-minute episode, you'll learn:
- responsibilities of a first baseman on a pitcher-cover-first play (3:06)
- when a first baseman should slide into first base (3:52)
- how and when to teach a swipe tag by the first baseman on an errant throw to first base (5:04)
- 3 guidelines for first basemen to know whether to go for the force play or get the sure out at first base (7:06)
- what fielding technique for pre-middle school first basemen to use to get the force at second base (8:22)
- what fielding technique for middle school & high school first basemen to use to get the force at second base (9:11)
- the key to training decision-making for first basemen in practices (11:03)
- whether coaches should play weak-armed or weak-fielding players at second base (13:19)
- when should the second baseman cover second base on a steal attempt (17:24)
- how should the second baseman position him/herself on second base during a steal attempt (18:37)
- how to teach footwork and arm action to second base for various grounders to the second baseman (20:53)
- when should the second baseman do a backhand throw to second base (21:44)
- why second basemen should NOT do drop steps when throwing to second base (22:25)
- how the second baseman should receive the throw at second for a force (23:36)
- how the second baseman should receive the throw at second for a double play (24:00)
- how young can kids be trained to have proper footwork at second base (24:38)
- relay & positioning responsibilities on various base hits (25:57)
- Perry's favorite drill for second basemen (and probably all infielders) (27:26)
- what the 6 Fs are (29:40)
- how to teach the 6 Fs (30:48)
- how to make practices more engaging for younger players (31:41)
- why baseball is the greatest game in the world (33:43)
Driveline Plus is a growing library of everything baseball player development. Members get how-to videos on youth training, discounts on products and inside access to Driveline trainers. Listeners of today's episode get $25 off their first year of Driveline Plus. Tune in to the episode to get the code, just for YBE listeners.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- 10-year-old boy dies after being hit by pitch
- 13-year-old boy dies after being hit by pitch
- 8-year-old boy dies after being hit by pitch
- How to teach pitch recognition to your players
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.