Training youth pitchers is not easy (safe to say that's an understatement). What does Driveline do and recommend? Deven Morgan, the Director of Youth Baseball at Driveline Baseball, shares some tips in part one of this two-part interview.
Plus Rob answers the Question of the Week (45:21) about how to help a batter who mashes in training but is late to load in games.
In this 53-minute episode, you'll learn:
- why a bad cue can be good even if it's still bad (15:53)
- two reasons why focusing on pitching mechanics isn't helpful for youth pitchers (20:52)
- two practical tips to help train youth pitchers (26:17)
- why both velocity & accuracy should be equally trained (30:54)
- two plyocare ball drills & three tools that kids should use before actually throwing a baseball (37:34)
- how intentional catch play can help support pitcher training (40:40)
- how to help kids who struggle throwing strikes at a certain distance (41:41)
- whether youth pitchers should throw with plyocare balls off a pitching mound (42:45)
Resources and links mentioned in this episode:
- Pivot pickoffs
- Reverse throws
- Driveline youth high-intent throwing article
- Kyle Boddy interview, part 1
- Kyle Boddy interview, part 2
- 2020 Lessons Learned
- Support YBE
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.