Ron Filipkowski, one of the most successful travel coaches, explains how to start and run a successful youth travel baseball team.
In this 54-minute episode, you'll learn:
- why be a travelball coach over a rec league coach
- the benefits to kids in being on a travel team
- whether there is an age where it's too early to join a travel team
- what aspects of coaching travelball make it more work than coaching in a rec league
- what the benefits are to coaching travelball
- why winning is important in travelball
- the recommended ratio of practices to games
- one advantage of warm-weather teams compared to cold-weather teams
- one tip to help batters who might feel overmatched
- five coaching philosophies to consider incorporating into your team
- what potential looks like in a player
- the first two things a new travelball coach should do
- how to handle a yelling parent on your team, depending on that parent's impact on other players
- how to decide what type of travel team you want to be
- whether to always be recruiting new players or devote totally to the team that you already recruited
- how Ron handles lineups and playing time among his players
- whether you should recruit only athletes or specific positions/skill sets
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Ron Filipkowski's Travelball book
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.