In this 44-minute episode, you'll learn:
- David's travelball experience (2:58)
- why David is down on travelball (3:56)
- the flaws in the pro-travelball argument to play better competition (7:11)
- whether development happens more in practices vs games (8:04)
- how Speedball was born (11:38)
- whether Speedball was intended to replace Little League, travelball and rec leagues (15:56)
- why regular youth baseball is "long, slow & boring" (21:10)
- an intro to Speedball and how it differs from regular youth baseball (23:15)
- how the catcher works in Speedball (26:02)
- a brief overview of Speedball's unique rules (27:29)
- what the Countdown rule is (29:17)
- how coach pitch and kid pitch works in Speedball (29:35)
- how Speedball teams and practices are managed (30:49)
Driveline BaseballDriveline Plus is a growing library of everything baseball player development. Members get how-to videos on youth training, discounts on products and inside access to Driveline trainers. Listeners of today's episode get $25 off their first year of Driveline Plus. Tune in to the episode to get the code, just for YBE listeners.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- Driveline Plus
- Free programs from Driveline
- YBE 17: Baseball Tricks of the Trade with David Klein
- YBE 129: The Importance of Unplugging with David Klein
- YBE 130: Helping Your Team Bond with David Klein
- YBE 138: Improving on The Science Of Hitting with Steve Ferroli
- YBE 139: 3 Things Killing Youth Baseball (and How to Fix Them) with Steve Ferroli
- YBE 150: Growing Entry-Level Players with Justin Sherman
- Sample defensive lineup
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.