In this episode, you'll learn:
- Why one of the biggest challenges for coaches involves a mismatch between what the kids see and what the coaches see
- One of the biggest differences between the really good coaches and mediocre coaches
- What causes coaches to be overconfident
- The best way to help give kids authoritative feedback during practices (bonus: you can also use this to help boost kids' confidence)
- The hidden power of placebos and how to harness it in coaching
- How to handle the fine line between overconfidence and lack of confidence in different age ranges
- That kids sometimes perform differently than they think they did, and how to correct them
- Whether setting goals for each kid is worthwhile
- Whether it's better to pull a struggling pitcher or let him pitch through his struggles
- What skill should be most sought-after in players
- Why some kids perform worse towards the end of the season and in the playoffs
Links and resources mentioned in this episode:
- Joe's book Why We Make Mistakes: How We Look Without Seeing, Forget Things in Seconds, and Are All Pretty Sure We Are Way Above Average
- Joe's book Kidding Ourselves: The Hidden Power of Self-Deception
- Welles Park Parents Association youth baseball league
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download