In this episode, you'll learn:
- what Jim thinks of 7-year-olds playing competitive baseball
- what Jim learned from coaching his first son to improve his coaching for his second son
- how to know whether you're ready to be a head coach
- why Jim doesn't have tryouts for his team
- how the Youth Baseball Talk podcast started
- Jim's opinion of the current state of youth baseball
- what Jim believes should be the goal of a head coach
- how Jim defines a competent head coach
- how Jim teaches boys to be men
- whether Jim believes travel teams should have equal playing time for all players
- Jim's opinion for travel team roster size
Links to resources mentioned in this episode:
- The Matheny Manifesto
- St. Louis Pirates college development program
- St. Louis Gamers youth baseball development program
- Elite Baseball Training
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.