In this 39-minute episode, you'll learn:
- what a major league tryout is like
- what's wrong with the term "framing"
- why be a catcher when the position is so physically demanding
- whether catching presents a better opportunity to make it to the big leagues
- what age a kid is recommended to consider specializing at catcher
- how much politics is involved in the minor leagues with an undrafted catcher
- whether to teach catchers to put their arm behind their back when receiving pitches
- how to teach the position to 9-12 year olds
- what the key physical mechanics of catching
- the difference stances involved
- the priority of aspects to teach 9-12 year-old catchers, and what to emphasize in practices
- whether it's worthwhile to practice throws to second when passed balls & wild pitches are common
- whether it's a waste to have a strong catcher if wild pitches are common in your league
- Does managers' former playing position correlate with managerial success?
- Xan's YouTube Channel
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.