Plus Rob answers the Question of the Week (24:29) about whether rec kids should be allowed to use both USSSA bats and USA Baseball bats.
In this 44-minute episode, you'll learn:
- how important nutrition really is (1:55)
- what is the best hydrator (3:18)
- whether youth players should be taking protein supplements (4:39)
- the best time to take protein shakes (5:35)
- what age should high-level players start taking protein supplements (6:20)
- what age should non-high-level players start taking protein supplements (6:39)
- how important is carbs in youth player diets (7:13)
- when to consume carbs (7:32)
- whether kids should eat often (7:40)
- at the 9-12 age range, should emphasis be on strength training or flexibility (9:08)
- what J-band exercises should always be in a youth pitcher's routine [listener question] (9:47)
- what muscle groups should be trained the most [listener question] (10:19)
- the #1 trait that scouts look for (10:39)
- the best way to improve ability to do pull-ups (10:56)
- a five-day plan for pitchers between outings (12:17)
- what modality for youth players to focus on during peak season (14:16)
- how youth pitcher workouts differ from youth position players (14:53)
- what's best to improve rotational strength [listener question] (15:32)
- Joey's thoughts on weighted ball throwing to improve youth pitcher velocity [listener question] (16:11)
- Joey's thoughts on overload/underload hitting implements (16:36)
- Joey's thoughts on bat donuts [listener question] (16:42)
- free or inexpensive resources for offseason strength workouts [listener question] (17:11)
- strength training exercises are best for shorter, skinnier 8-12 year olds (17:31)
- best alternative to back squats (18:10)
- difference between hex bar deadlift and straight bar deadlift for youth baseball players (18:47)
- whether hands/finger exercises or wrist/forearm exercises are better for 11-14 year old youth pitchers (19:13)
- whether rice bucket exercises really help [listener question] (19:42)
- arm strength exercises for non-pitchers (19:48)
- whether exercise should be used as punishment (20:31)
- why conditioning is overused by many youth coaches (21:16)
- programming for offseason, preseason and in-season (22:12)
Resources and links mentioned in this episodeRight-click on this link and 'Save as...' to download this episode.
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.