In this 42-minute episode, you'll learn:
- how Trent implements his catch play routine in practices and games
- six key principles of catching the ball
- the importance of a good fielder's glove and three key elements of a good glove
- how good infielders approach routine ground balls
- how fielders should differentiate when to field left of center and when to field out in front
- the footwork for second basemen when receiving the feed from the shortstop, and how to teach it
- a helpful cue for infielders receiving feeds
- when second basemen should be on the RF side of the base to receive feeds vs the 3B side of the base
- second baseman footwork (and knee-work!) when receiving feeds on the 3B side of the base
- the footwork for shortstops receiving feeds from second basemen
- whether the relay from SS to 1B should prioritize quickness/accuracy or throw velocity
- when to call for 'infield in'
- Austin Wasserman's article on managing athletes with Osgood Schlatter's disease
- YBE episode #115 with Justin Stone discussing the four-drill progression to use ground forces
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.