In this 35-minute episode, you'll learn:
- three drills to help kids learn how to catch (1:45)
- whether competition is helpful for younger kids learning foundational skills, plus two drills for older kids (3:36)
- the age Justin likes to start partner catch, and key concepts to teach at this stage (5:00)
- a fun throwing drill that kids will love (5:36)
- a fun hitting drill that you can do if you are the only coach (or only have one other helper) (6:29)
- three baserunning drills to teach entry-level players (9:43)
- whether scrimmages are helpful, and a simple yet fun version of a scrimmage (10:22)
- what to do if you have players who don't pay attention or horse around (12:18)
- whether to repeat previously-taught concepts over a season or if that's a waste of time, and whether homework is helpful or harmful (13:05)
- how to help kids learn persistence (16:05)
- a simple way to know if kids are giving their best (17:23)
- two overarching tips for coaches and parents when teaching young players (18:49)
- what parents can do to be better coaches (20:15)
SponsorDriveline Plus. Tune in to the episode to get the code, just for YBE listeners.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- Session 105: The Open Baseball Journal: 10 Questions Baseball Parents Should Ask Their Child Every Season
- How to Optimize Your Batting Lineup
Right-click on this link and 'Save as...' to download this episode.
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.