In this 59-minute episode, you'll learn:
- what high-level throwing is
- why you can trust Austin regarding throwing properly
- the water bottle drill
- whether to teach the water bottle drill to kids who already throw hard and/or accurately
- what's wrong with the 'L' drill
- if there is an age minimum for the water bottle drill
- whether the naked eye is able to accurately perceive the throwing motion
- how to modify the drill for infielders who need a quick release
- whether wrist flick drills are helpful
- whether it's important to teach wrist snap at ball release
- what pronation is
- whether throwing sidearm is wrong
- whether the throwing-side elbow needs to be above/below/same as shoulder at ball release
- where the hand should be at ball release, and how to check
- what players should do with their glove-side arm
- where the landing foot should go
- what a four-seam grip is
- the practicality of getting a four-seam grip as a fielder
- suggested footwork on a throw
- Water Bottle Drill
- More on the Water Bottle Drill
- Wrist flick "Set Up" Throw to replace that old "Wrist Flick Drill"
- Scapular Upward Rotation Can Fix Your Throwing Pattern
- Rebounder drill from Driveline Baseball
- Pivot pickoff throw drill from Driveline Baseball
- Double shuffle drill, Part 1 and Part 2
Right-click on this link and 'Save as...' to download this episode.
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.