In this 44-minute episode, you'll learn:
- how many games you'd play a week, and what the developmental benefits are (1:17)
- why development can happen in Speedball games, unlike regular youth baseball games (4:34)
- how to balance Speedball teams in skill level (5:39)
- pros and cons of teams forming themselves (7:47)
- Speedball rules (8:34)
- why leadoffs are counterproductive in Speedball games (9:44)
- more Speedball rules and how to determine the new home run area (10:23)
- more Speedball rules and how kids get warmed up to pitch (12:26)
- more Speedball rules and how to implement penalties (15:35)
- how umpires work (16:07)
- more Speedball rules and how to replace pitchers (16:34)
- Speedball "wild card" rules (18:09)
- additional "special" rules (18:58)
- how to handle infielders on cut/relay plays when there are fewer outfielders (21:57)
- coach roles in Speedball games (22:51)
- whether coaching during Speedball games is encouraged or frowned upon (23:48)
- how Speedball standings and playoffs work (24:43)
- how to adopt Speedball in your community (25:56)
- how Speedball practices differ from regular youth baseball practices (27:44)
- how Speedball compares to travelball, Little League and elite instruction (28:50)
Driveline BaseballDriveline Plus is a growing library of everything baseball player development. Members get how-to videos on youth training, discounts on products and inside access to Driveline trainers. Listeners of today's episode get $25 off their first year of Driveline Plus. Tune in to the episode to get the code, just for YBE listeners.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- Training efficacy of ladder drills for baseball & softball
- 5-10-5 Pro Agility drill
- Foam Roll Shuffle Touches
- Mogul Hop drill
- Short Work drill
- Youngblood Youth Strength Training Manual
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.