Plus Rob answers the Question of the Week (25:40) about whether to strictly train your kid to hit against the travel tryout pitching machine speed for the upcoming tryout or let the kid hit faster speeds.
In this 40-minute episode, you'll learn from my lessons learned:
- track your team’s defensive outcomes (2:38)
- practice bunting and bunt defense (5:25)
- optimize your team’s batting order but try a couple different variants (7:21)
- have kids repeat drills until they “get it” (11:50)
- break up cliques by having a season-long small group competition (14:39)
- don’t dumb down drills (18:54)
- encourage your parent helpers to “push” the kids (21:26)
SponsorDriveline Plus. Tune in to the episode to get the code, just for YBE listeners.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- How To Calculate Relevant Defensive Stats For Youth Baseball (with free spreadsheet)
- How To Optimize Your Batting Order Lineup
- YBE 134: Start With A Plan with Bo Ashabraner
Right-click on this link and 'Save as...' to download this episode.
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.