In this 48-minute episode, you'll learn:
- the setup for receiving pitches on the edges of the plate (1:36)
- how long to expect the average youth catcher to get the basics of catcher attack angle, and the first step in teaching it (2:32)
- what is the benefit of the one-knee stance for youth catchers (4:49)
- two reasons to avoid one-knee stances with runners on base (8:33)
- the key concept to teach regarding one-knee stances (11:42)
- whether there are any absolutes regarding one-knee stances (13:02)
- two simple systems for catchers to call pitches (17:55)
- how catchers can call pickoffs (23:51)
- the one most important thing to do for your catcher's development (26:22)
Driveline BaseballDriveline Plus is a growing library of everything baseball player development. Members get how-to videos on youth training, discounts on products and inside access to Driveline trainers. Listeners of today's episode get $25 off their first year of Driveline Plus. Tune in to the episode to get the code, just for YBE listeners.
Bonus clip from interview:
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- Jay Weaver's catchingcamp.com
- Article breaking down pop time by Driveline Baseball
- Austin Wasserman towel pronation drills for pre-throwing (note: videos appear to be unavailable now)
- Austin Wasserman's Linear Dynamic Warmup
- Austin Wasserman's Dynamic Warmup
- Baseball Olympics drill
Right-click on this link and 'Save as...' to download this episode.
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.