In this 42-minute episode, you'll learn:
- whether the catcher or the coach should call the pitches (the answer is not what you'd expect!)
- if 9-12 year-old catchers should bother calling for location
- whether catchers should take a big or small step towards second base when trying to throw out a stealer
- what three things high school catchers need to focus on, and in what order
- the art of calling pitches
- the priority of aspects to teach high school catchers
- a tip to help receive pitches properly, and a drill to teach that
- where to find other helpful catcher drills
- a tip for catchers in bullpen sessions
- how to help catchers improve their ability to throw out runners, including footwork to watch for
- a tip to help catchers improve their consistency in throwing to the ideal spot near the base
- when catchers should have mound meetings with their pitchers, and what they should say
- how to encourage young kids or shy kids to assume more of a leadership role
- two catcher metrics that should be captured, and a recommended pitcher-catcher relationship metric to track
- Xan's YouTube Channel
- Baseball Prospectus' new catcher stats
- SpeakPipe for using the Ask Justin page on iOS devices
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.