In this episode, you'll learn:
- whether swinging the glove-side arm in a circular path during the delivery is important
- how to achieve hip-shoulder separation
- two primary reasons why kids may throw slower as a pitcher than as a fielder
- the one thing you need to know to teach kids how to be consistent in throwing strikes
- what to teach if your pitcher's glove-side arm flies open after delivery
- whether to teach proper release point
- two ways pitchers can increase injury risk
- whether over-the-top deliveries a higher injury risk than 3/4 deliveries
- whether teaching a "tabletop" follow-through is important
- why you shouldn't teach curve balls to young pitchers even with recent studies concluding that curve balls are not dangerous to young arms
- why youth pitcher change-ups are basically the same speed as their fastballs, and what to do about it
- how Travis teaches the change-up grip
- whether pitchers should fool around with different grips for a fastball delivery
- what three skills/qualities Travis looks for in a good pitcher
- what's the difference between attitude and mentality
- what Travis looks for in his video analysis
Want MORE Edgy Info?
Never miss an article! Enter your info to get more practical, actionable youth baseball coaching info like this.
Are you a new coach? I have a free 15-day email course just for you, where I walk you through coaching a team for an entire season over the course of 3 weeks.